Friday, January 02, 2015

"Not Too Sweet" Apple Pie


For this year's Christmas, I was once again in charge of the dessert!  I was planning on making a pumpkin pie, but after surveying the idea with a few of my family members, apple seemed to be the preferred choice.

I used this recipe from Allrecipes.com for the filling.  I did make a couple of changes with this recipe. Since I used Gala apples instead of Granny Smith apples, I used only 1/2 cup of sugar.  I'm also a huge fan of cinnamon, so I added a tablespoon of cinnamon as opposed to the teaspoon suggested.

Some of the ingredients and two balls of crust dough

To create the pie shells, I followed this recipe.  I made the crust the night before, but one mistake I made was that I did not add water to the dough consistently enough.  They turned out rock solid when I took them out of the fridge the next day.

Making the dough for the pie shells


The filling

The recipe suggested to dot each layer of apples with margarine or butter.  I didn't follow this step.  Instead, I sprinkled each layer with flour to prevent the filling to be too runny.


You can also add an egg wash to the pie to make it shinier and brown nicely
This was a very simple recipe to follow and everyone seemed to really like it!  I even received the ULTIMATE Asian compliment - "It was not too sweet!  Very good, Winnie."

Pair it with vanilla ice cream and it's good to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment