Friday, December 25, 2015

Coffee Chiffon Cake


I baked a cake for the first time! Each Christmas, my family invites my sister's in-laws over for a family dinner and I take care of the dessert.  This year, I wanted to bake a Chinese style coffee cake. I'm a coffee lover and I love the whipped cream and fluffiness of Chinese style cakes.    

For the cake, I used the recipe on Foodelicacy.com. For the whipped cream, I used the recipe on My Edible Memories.  They also have a Chinese style cake recipe similar to Foodelicacy. 

Making the cake 
Some of the ingredients to make the cake
I made a few changes to the recipe.  Instead of 3.5 eggs, I used 4 eggs to keep things simple.  I also didn't have any cream of tartar, so I substituted it with white vinegar.
Sugar and eggs

Egg yolk mixture with coffee
Whipped egg whites

Batter is ready for the oven!

Cakes are out of the oven
Decorating the Cake

I wanted to add a bit of coffee flavor and colouring to the whipped cream, so I added a tablespoon of instant coffee to the mixture.  I'm not sure if it made that much of a difference.
Whipped!
Covering the first layer of sponge cake with whipped cream
Covering the whole cake with whipped cream
Part of my research and preparation in making this cake, I came across the most amazing cake YouTube channel called Cakes StepbyStep.  I learned how to make a chocolate cage by watching this tutorial video.  All you need is parchment paper and melted chocolate.
Chocolate cage
I wanted to add some chocolate decorations to the top of my cake, so I prepared these the night before.
Chocolate shapes for decorations
I also sprinkled some almonds which I roasted and crushed with a mortar and pestle.  

Finished product!
Insides of the cake
Overall, the cake tasted pretty good.  The only problem I had was that the sponge cake ended up being a little more dense than expected.  It could have been due to a number of factors, such as replacing the cream of tartar with white vinegar, cooking in the oven a few minutes too long, and technique.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Winnie, I'm Celia from foodelicacy! Love what you did with your coffee cake and the creative decoeations, it looked so gorgeous and yummylicious! If this is your first cake bake, I'd say you're a natural! Happy baking, and thanks for trying out the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Celia! I'm actually going to bake this cake again tomorrow. What's the secret to make the cake fluffier?

      Delete
    2. Thanks Celia! I'm actually going to bake this cake again tomorrow. What's the secret to make the cake fluffier?

      Delete