Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Tiramisu in a Jar


The past several years, I started a tradition of giving a party favor/memento to my friends for Christmas (last year's was the coffee ornaments).  This year, I wanted to do something with mason jars since I volunteered to make the dessert for the Christmas party.

Making the Tiramisu

I picked this tiramisu recipe from allrecipes.com.  I picked this recipe in particular because it didn't use raw egg yolks.  This recipe was not meant for mason jars, so I did make a few minor changes here and there.  
The ingredients
Change #1 - I didn't have plain rum, but I did have coconut rum!  I thought the coconut rum added a bit more flavor to it.

Change #2 - I only bought one pack of ladyfingers which consisted 36 of them.  I ended up using 24 ladyfingers to make 12 x 250ml jars of tiramisu.

I bought my mason jars from Canadian Tire for $7.99 for a set of 12.

Mason Jar from Canadian Tire
Eggs and sugar scrambled together
Boiling the egg, sugar and milk
It's easy to overcook the egg, sugar, and milk mixture.  I ran into this issue.  Make sure you turn down the temperature once the mixture starts to boil.

Time to refrigerate the mixture!
Vanilla added to the cream
After you add the marscapone to the egg yolk mixture, it looks something like this.
Refrigerated egg mixture with marscapone
To fit the ladyfingers into the mason jars, I quartered each piece.

Ladyfingers
Since I don't have a coffee machine, I used instant coffee for the mixture.

Dipping the ladyfingers into the coffee and rum mixture
Layering the Tiramisu:
Coffee dipped ladyfingers
Whipped cream layer
Don't forget to add the cocoa!
I was able to fit two to three layers of ladyfingers in each of the jars.



To decorate the jars, I bought a strand of fake flowers from the dollar store and clipped pieces of it off.  The name tags and ribbons were from Michaels (make sure you download an online coupon!).

I was quite impressed how this project turned out. Not only did it visually looked good, it actually tasted pretty good as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment