Saturday, November 24, 2012

My Ugly Christmas Sweater

A couple of years ago, my workplace had an ugly Christmas sweater theme party.  After rummaging my closet and coming up with nothing, I decided to make my own!  To make good use of my sweater, I am hosting an ugly Christmas sweater party this year.  I am dedicating this post to all my good friends who will be coming to my party in a few weeks.  Happy early Christmas!

Snowman with a mix of fabric




Supplies
  • A plain sweater or a sweater with a large canvas to work with.  I bought mine at Suzy Shier for $10
  • Decorative materials: Bells, snowflakes, buttons, scraps of cloths with a mix of patterns.
  • Safety pins
  • Needle and thread
  • Sewing machine
  • Glue
I found most of my decorative materials from the Dollar Store at the scrapbook section.  They always have a large variety items for you to choose from.  I tried to limit the amount of glue I would use on the sweater because I felt guilty ruining a perfectly good sweater!  

Christmas Tree
Snowman:
I didn't use any glue for to make the snowman.  Why?  I'm not quite sure.  I guess I figured it would just be quicker to just sew everything together.  It's best to make the snowman first before sewing it onto the sweater.  

Christmas Tree:
I used safety pins to hang the bells and I glued the ornaments onto the tree.  

Snowflakes from the Dollar Store

Snowflakes:
The snowflakes were all sewn onto the sweater by hand.  Only the center of the snowflakes are attached.

Good luck with your ugly sweater!

3 comments:

  1. this was a permanent sweater??? i always thought you could take it apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can take it apart. I only used glue on parts of the snowman but not directly on the sweater. I didn't end up taking everything apart because I got lazy lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to make a ugly sweater! But first...I need a sweater to ruin. Your sweater actually looks pretty nice haha! It looks like a piece of art work.

    ReplyDelete