Sunday, December 02, 2012

Party It Up Bollywood Style!

My sister got married this summer. For her bridal shower, we hosted a Bollywood theme party in my basement.  So of course, it wouldn't be much of a Bollywood party without some fun and flashy decorations!

Both pillow sizes were $1.99 from IKEA.
One of the bridesmaids and I made some colourful throw pillows for everyone to sit on. I also drew some elephants to decorate the walls.

Elephants made with poster paper, glitter glue, and sequins


To make the pillows:
The pillows were purchased at IKEA for $1.99 each.  I got some colourful fabric with a mix of material (velvet, satin, etc.) from Rokko's Fabric on Fraser Street.  If you go there, make sure you check out their clearance section. You can get several yards of already cut fabric for as little as $3.  Their staff are also super helpful.  They helped me find eight yards of the hot pink and gold fabric for just $12!
An assortment of fabric from Rokko's Fabric

This is the pattern I used to create the pillows.


To estimate the amount of fabric to use, I followed the dimensions on this page from Dummies.com.

To make the elephants:
I wanted to add some colour to the walls so I came up with the idea of drawing elephants and decorating them with sequins and glitter.  You can buy all the supplies at the Dollar Store in the craft section.

Drawing the elephant

Elephants ready to be decorated

I started off drawing one elephant and then used it to trace the rest.  You can decorate the elephants in any way you like. 

All glammed up.

Voila!  Hand out bangles to your guests as party favors, offer East Indian treats, play Bollywood music, and put up some colourful ceiling fabric, and you got yourself a Bollywood theme party. 

3 comments:

  1. But where is the Aloo Gobi?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dinner portion of the party. We offered treats at the shower but we went to an East Indian Restaurant for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous pillow Winnie! I need to learn how to make some for my new place. Great post!

    ReplyDelete